1. What song title did its composer select after looking at an atlas?
2. What famous patriotic song was given a melody that was an old English drinking tune?
3. What brilliant American composer wrote over 200 songs and yet suffered from depression and alcoholism, and died at the age of 37 ?
4. Which song did George Washington request played when the British surrendered to the Colonists at Yorktown? This song was originally conceived by the British to belittle the colonial soldiers.
5. What song was sung by early American seamen to ease their pangs of homesickness?
6. What popular song was often associated with the gold rush of the 1850ís?
7. What confederate tune did Abraham Lincoln favor and have played at the end of the civil war at Appomattox ?
8. What popular song became a smashing success in the South with the confederacy and yet was written by an Unionist ?
9. What well-known hymn was composed by a former slave merchant who later became a preacher?
10. What American song made the Hit Parade 87 years after the death of its composer?
11. What melody has been used by more countries as a patriotic air than any song ever written?
12. What song was composed directly in response to a request by Abraham Lincoln to encourage more men to enlist in the Union army?
13. What song has its roots in the south and yet became a great marching song for the Union army? (the lyrics were rewritten by the wife of an army doctor.)
More historical information is found in the program notes included in the American Treasure CD collection - To order your copy, click here.
Welcome | About the Recording
| Titles and Samples | Listener